Charitable Gift Annuities
Give to support children in our community.
A charitable gift annuity is a simple, contractual agreement between you and our hospital, in which you transfer assets to us in exchange for our promise to make payments of a fixed amount to you (and/or another individual, if you choose) for life.
We invite you to make a gift that provides:
- Stable income for the duration of your lifetime or that of a loved one
- Tax advantages, including an immediate charitable deduction and potential savings on capital gains and estate tax
- Important support for Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford and the families we serve
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a Charitable Gift Annuity work?
- You make a gift to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital Stanford.
- You qualify for an immediate tax benefit.
- We create a reserve.
- We pay you a fixed percentage of the original gift’s value for the rest of your life.
- We use the remainder to support our patients and families.
How is the rate of payout determined?
We use the rates recommended by the American Council on Gift Annuities, which are reevaluated periodically. The rates are based on your age and the number of annuitants. Rates are higher for older annuitants, which makes annuities appealing to older donors. Contact us for a personalized illustration and to see if a charitable gift annuity is right for you.
Can I defer the date when I will start to receive income and still get my income tax deduction?
Deferred charitable gift annuities allow you to receive immediate tax benefits from donating cash or appreciated assets, and receive a set dollar amount for the rest of your life starting at a date of your choice. The longer you defer your start date, the higher the payout amount.
The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health is a tax-exempt organization and does not provide tax, legal, or financial advice. Any document or information provided to you by our staff is intended to be educational and informational. The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health strongly encourages all of our donors to seek counsel from their own legal and financial advisors. Please know that any information or documents shared by the development staff cannot be used to avoid tax-related penalties.