The Association of Auxiliaries for Children was established in 1919, when the Stanford Home for Convalescent Children (also known as the “Con Home”) opened its doors to children discharged from the Stanford-Lane Hospital in San Francisco.
Charter Auxiliary was the inaugural Auxiliary established to raise funds to help families pay for the care of their child at the Con Home. The Auxiliary laid the foundation for what eventually became a hallmark of Packard Children’s mission—to provide medical care to children in need, regardless of families’ financial circumstances.
Now, more than 100 years later, there are seven independent Auxiliaries consisting of nearly 1,000 volunteers spanning from San Francisco to San Jose with a shared mission to raise funds for the hospital.
Collectively, the seven Auxiliaries donate more than $1 million annually through their individual fundraising efforts. Additionally, individual members contribute directly to the hospital, and the Auxiliaries Endowment provides another $1 million in grants to a variety of departments and programs at the hospital.
In 2013 Affiliate organizations were established to help the Auxiliaries expand their volunteer service and financial support. There are six Affiliate organizations that share their gifts of time and talent to support patients in a variety of ways: from providing food to families in need to donating toiletries to teen patients.