Stock & Securities
Gifts of appreciated stock are a great way to give and receive. The appreciated stock you’ve owned for more than a year can help caregivers deliver the best pediatric and obstetric medicine and provide you with a tax deduction and lower (or zero) capital gains tax exposure.
Two ways you can leverage your stock gift:
1. Give your stock directly
This is the easiest way to give stock. Simply complete and submit our securities transfer form.
Email or call our Development Services team at (650) 497-8141.
- You will not pay capital gains taxes on any appreciated securities that you transfer directly to the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health.
- If you have held your stock for more than one year, your tax deduction is based on the fair market value of the stock, not its cost basis.
2. Give your stock to create a Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA)
CGAs are contracts where Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford promises to pay you (and/or another individual, if you choose) a fixed lifetime income in exchange for your stock gift. Our hospital will receive the remaining CGA funds when the contract matures.
Email or call our Gift Planning team at (650) 724-5778.
- Receive stable income during your lifetime or that of a loved one
- You may bypass some capital gains taxes and spread out the remaining tax liability over several years
We encourage all donors to consult their tax advisor when considering gifts of stock.
Learn more in our FAQ section.